- Orientation & Workshop-
September 14, 2022
- Team Building-September 23, 2022
- Understanding Our History, Looking
to the Future-October 5, 2022
- Media & Public Speaking-November 2, 2022
- Community Planning/Tourism-December 7, 2022
- City Government-January 4, 2023
- Education Within Our Community-February 1, 2023
- Healthcare and Social Services-March 1, 2023
- Major Industries & Economy-April 5, 2023
- Understanding County & State Government-May 3, 2023
- Graduation-June 7, 2023
- Develops employees with increased organizational, leadership and problem solving skills
- Strengthens a company’s involvement and participation in community affairs
- Gives companies new access to a network of community leaders and resources
- Gives companies public recognition
A. Learn more about their community through professional development training
B. Exchange ideas and experiences, both formally and informally
C. Align the participant’s skills with opportunities for success by developing lasting relationships among community leaders
D. Develop new contacts, new resources and new skills
E. Encourage participants to actively participate in future activities which contribute to the growth and betterment of the Portland community
F. Recognize their weaknesses and continue to build their strengths
The purpose of Leadership Portland is:
To increase the quality and quantity of men and women capable of accepting leadership roles in various community organizations. Participants are exposed to a variety of social and economic issues facing our area. This awareness helps develop informed civic-oriented leaders who are interested in helping direct the future of Portland. Through the program, participants will learn and refine their leadership styles, meet and make connections with leaders in the community, and discover opportunities for community involvement.
Eligibility and Selection:
Any person having an interest in the objectives of Leadership Portland shall be eligible to participate.
Tuition for a current Portland Chamber Member and non-Portland Chamber membership applicant is $400.00. Tuition must be paid in full by the first orientation meeting, unless previous payment arrangements have been made. Tuition fees are non-refundable. Failure to comply with class requirements will be grounds for immediate dismissal.
Attend orientation and nine scheduled classes, complete homework assignments, complete assigned volunteer hours of community service within an outside organization in the Portland Community, and required volunteer hours at Windfest. In addition, the class will be required to create and complete a fundraiser to fund a required and approved class project.
One absolute requirement of participation in Leadership Portland is attendance for the entire Orientation and Team Building session. Course completion is based upon meeting attendance requirements for class sessions. The equivalent of more than (1) absence prohibits graduation at the end of the session year. Attendance will be checked in the morning , after lunch and in the afternoon. If attendance on any session day is not possible, the Leadership Portland staff must be notified
The most important consideration in identifying those individuals that are most likely to utilize their leadership skills for the long-term benefit of the Portland Community. Leadership Portland seeks individuals:
1. Who represent a cross section of the community including business, the professions, education, government, arts, clergy, service & community organizations, and various ethnic, age and gender groups.
2. Who demonstrate sincere commitment motivation and interest to serve the Portland area.
3. Who has committed to complete the Leadership Portland program with the full support of the organization he/she represents.
4. Who have the intention upon completion of the program, to seek roles on community boards, commissions, key volunteer leadership positions in the community or public offices.
Applications must be:
1. Typed or clearly printed.
2. Signed by the applicant.
3. Accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $30 payable to the Portland Chamber of Commerce.
4. Accompanied by signed commitment form.
5. Returned to the Portland Chamber of Commerce by September 7, 2022.